Tuesday, February 10, 2009
controversy
As for the question as to whether or not Seierstad has used the Rais family, I would absolutely agree that she has. Without a doubt she exploited the inner workings of their family and publicized thoughts and feelings that most families would strive to keep private. However, the ends for which she exploited this family may somewhat alleviate, if not justify, Seierstad's actions. In publishing a firsthand account of the treatment of Afghan women, Seierstad successfully depicted the torment and cruelty these women are subjected to but never have the opportunity to share with those outside their world. But as to whether expressing the plights of these women condones the exploitation of this family, I'm torn. On one hand, I would agree that Seierstad's actions benefit the greater good by bringing awareness to the harsh realities of feminine life in Afghanistan, but at the same time it just doesn't sit well with me that in order to do so, the trust and credence that the Rais family put in Seierstad during her stay with them had to be compromised with the publication of her book.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment