Friday, April 17, 2009

Emo-tional Blogging

I just re-read the Emo essay from a few class periods ago, and I can't believe how dated it is already. Actually, I'm not sure if it's dated or if the writer doesn't know jack about pop culture (seeing as how the author writes for Spin, the latter seems unlikely). He kept on making the assertion that no one wants to subscribe themselves to the "emo" label, how there isn't a single band out there today that labels themselves under the all-elusive "emo" genre. I just don't see how that is the case. I did an iTunes searh for emo. Though there isn't an emo genre, there is a band called Emo and an iTunes essential called emo. Bands today with that certain grungy sound need to label themselves as emo because of the semi-new phenomenon of the "Emo Kid," AKA the scenster, the goth, or the kid-who-will-forever-be-in-his-or-her-awkward-phase, complete guy-liner, bandans, chains, and strangely-located piercings. "Emo Kids" crave anything and everything emo. This demographic is the reason bands like Fall Out Boy and Panic at the Disco are popular, and the reason the Bamboozle Festival can still exist in a time when the music business is slowly but surely dieing. So when the writer of the essay says that no one will ever label themselves as emo, I strongly disagree.

No comments: