Thursday, April 16, 2009
Ung Cover
When I finished reading "First They Killed My Father," I looked at the cover and realized the colors and placement of words have some significance. The words "First They Killed My Father" are placed over Loung Ung's eyes. This could symbolize how her young eyes should have been shielded from the violence and cruelty she experienced in the war. Or it could mean that the eyes of the young girl have been scarred by what she had seen. Or even that the young, innocent eyes are gone and they are replaced by ones that are mature and experienced. The color red is also really significant in the novel. Red symbolizes freedom, happiness, and hope, such as the red scarf or red dress, but it could also signify blood. I might be looking too deep into this cover, but it seems like the cover could be interpreted in a number of ways.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
That's a really cool interpretation. I also noticed that the picture used on the cover is (I think, if it is in fact the same picture) also in the collection of photos in the middle of the book.
I agree with Elana, that was a really cool thought about the cover art. Maybe the strip over her eyes goes with the cover to symbolize how her father at first tried to shield her from the atrocities of the war.
Post a Comment