Thursday, April 16, 2009

Friends

We read an essay a REALLY long time ago about types of friends - the one you love to hate, the perfect one, the silly one, the smart one, etc. I found myself finding at least one of my friends who matched each description. It made me realize that friends do more than function as just, well, your friends. They fill spaces in our personalities or in our habits that we lack. My personal favorite was the "relative friend" - I could name about 20 of those. It's interesting to actually think about and categorize friendships. In a way, it almost makes you evaluate the purpose of each one, seeing where it fits in.

I had to pick something to write about... so that's it. :)

2 comments:

Christina said...

I completely agree! I put all of my friends into those categories too, it was great.

I loved her accuracy with that -- just think how terrible it would've been if she starting making categories and everyone was like... yeahh I have absolutely NO friends that have EVER been like that.

SO yeah, she did that really well.

Rob said...

I think its easy to lump friends under those specific names, considering how broad they all were. When I read the essay, all I could think about was "The Breakfast Club," and how it was able to take every high school teenager stereotype and lump them under five specific categories (rich princess, geek, burnout, jock, and juvenile). The writer of that essay was able to do the same thing with people in general and in the way that friends interact with each other, and I found that interesting.