Anyone who knows me knows that I take ridiculous notes (probably way too exact and comprehensive). This book was really hard for me too take notes on. I spent 3 boring days trying to just get through the first 20 pages. First of all, nothing made sense to me. Jennings referred to a thousand different songs and mentioned Johnny Cash about 15 times in a sentence. I was frustrated because I could not put a tune in my head to match the songs that Jennings listed. Then, I put my pen down and STOPPED TAKING NOTES. I read quickly, not focusing on the foreign details, but rather focusing on the big picture that Jennings presented between country music and his life. Without knowing anything about country music, the references to songs and artists still helped me understand Jennings' connection to country music.
I have never listened to any country music, and I probably never will. It just does not appeal to me. I have never experienced poverty or the life that Jennings tags as a "Sh#t" lifestyle. But, by reading this book, I have arrived at a greater appreciation for music, artists, and listeners. The book beat the message into me. "Music is a form of expression for all types of people". Country appeals to Jennings because the music and his life are parallel lines. I like different music because other types of music coordinate with my life experiences.
To sum it up- I hated the book, but it taught me about Jennings, music, and life.
No comments:
Post a Comment