Wednesday, May 06, 2009
Impressions on Country Spiritualism
One of the things that has made an impression on me most from reading Sing Me Back Home has been Jennings development of spiritualism surrounding the music in his life. Devoting such reverence to Johnny Cash and other artists like him is almost like giving them sainthood in his eyes. Even his diction in reference to them changes, almost as if they're too good to be real. I was really surprised that Jennings would put this much faith in a musical artist or song. The book was prefaced for me by several classmates indicating that "[the book] was terrible because it talked about country music", and I expected some reference or parallels, but not with this much fervor. I'm enjoying the book even more with this newly "enlightened" understanding of Jennings's view on the artists that shaped his childhood
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment