First they killed my father was a great book to read. One thing I really liked was that her writing was easy to understand. The everything was pretty brief and to the point, which helped the book flow better. The one thing that really jumped out to me was at the beginning of the book how quickly her life changed. She was not someone who was previously living in poverty or someone who didn’t live in the modern world. Her family was middle class, her father had an important position, and her life from day to day was stable. But in the blink of an eye all of that disappeared and she had to go through an impossible ordeal. This stuck out to me because I could see myself in her situation at the start of the novel, but I could not imagine what it was like to lose every material thing I had in a matter of a day. Another thing that really made the novel great were the imaginary sections. They were so effective at putting the audience into a situation because they were extremely descriptive and contained vivid imagery. Even though all of these stories were not actually witnessed by Ung herself, her vivid description of events built ethos; I trusted everything she said in those sections. The imaginary sections allowed me to put myself right into the situation and into the shoes of whoever she happened to be talking about.
Friday, May 08, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment