Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Lost in Country Music

In the first few pages of Jenning's book, I became lost in a sea of unfamiliar comparisons, references, and music. I feel that an author ought to engage his reader, take his reader along for the journey through the book; however, I feel as if I am an outsider looking into a world that is unfamiliar and strange to me. Although not every book, whether novel, short story, or biography, relates to the specific "world" we live in, something about it draws us in and resonates with us. It is what keeps us engaged. In Jenning's book, that something isn't quite there. I feel completely isolated from this little "country-music-lovin'" world, and the book doesn't make me interested in this world either. This book is written for someone, but it's not me. Maybe this is because I can't relate to the story at all, but I think Jennings changes his tone too often. As he switches from a history lesson on country music to his experiences in rural New Hampshire, his tone transforms from formal, historian-like, to real, uncensored, "country." Maybe this is another reason I find it hard to relate to and become engaged in. 

No comments: