Monday, May 04, 2009
Love, Death and Country Music
I'm not that far into the book so I can't give a full judgment on it but so far I don't find it particularly grabbing. The books that I find the most appealing sort of pull me in from the beginning. For example, "First They Killed My Father" opened with a vivid description of Phnom Penh, and then Ung transitioned to more specific details about her family. I immediately felt pulled into the scene and interested. In Jennings' book, I found less of an initial pull. I found myself struggling to see the story through all the drawn out descriptions of the country music. So far, I find that the numerous sections dedicated to country music's history cause me to lose focus and do not inspire me to keep reading. Maybe someone who is very interested in country music would enjoy this book more, and be able to relate to it in a way that I can't. From reading the comments of others I see that this sentiment is shared and as I keep reading I'm going to take the advice of Michelle (I think it was her) and try to skip the boring descriptions so I can try to understand the story more.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment