Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Catching up #3 (Anythign English)

I know it's totally late to be talking about the appeal of the androgynous man, but I'm going to any way. I think it was a really ineffective peace.Gross starts out her essay with a false promise. Her first 2 lines seem to hint that a personal anecdote will follow, but none ensues, thus making the audience skeptical of her writing. She proceeds to describe a lot of qualities without making any connection to her reader, just a simple list. She has a purely factual tone which eliminates most appeal to pathos and thus lessens the effectiveness of the work. She then continues to generalize about all men, thus making any male reader feel, frankly, like crap. She says that all men are pretty much brutes who only care about beer and pretzels. It is full of sweepy generalizations that detract from the ethos of the work. The piece seems to be a scathing review of men in general with no personal stories, no wringer to hook the audience, just a list. If she can be this critical of men, I can be this critical of her list of qualities.

No comments: