First let me start of by saying I really, really hate country music. I do not understand what people see in it, I can’t listen to it without dying a little inside. The beginning of the book is not very riveting; in fact, I had to struggle to keep reading the book. But although I don’t particularly find the book interesting, I do like the way that he integrates various country songs and artists into the novel. He uses country to parallel what goes on in his life and what goes on in rural America. He shows how country music paints a real image of the lives of rural Americans. I think this is an original strategy, and I think if you were into country music, the book would appeal to you more. The book did help me have a greater appreciation for country music though. I can see how important and influential it was for him, and how important it must be for millions of other people who grew up like him. That said, I still don’t like the music.
Friday, May 08, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment