Monday, May 04, 2009

Country Music..?

ok, it is very difficult to trudge through a list of country songs and artists most of us aren't very familiar with. i have this feeling that what jennings is doing with his name dropping is some sort of intricate, marvelous weaving of country music, rural life in New Hampshire, poverty - yet when I don't recognize the threads, how can I appreciate the art? 

It's not only the country music references that are hard to pick up - it's the whole lifestyle behind those lyrics that none of us at MKA can understand completely. 

But in the realm of rhetoric- where we've learned to look through content and into the strategy and devices, I think jennings really stands out. The tone is unlike anything we've seen - the academic analysis mixed with slang and colloquialisms? That's pretty rare. The use of definition is apparent - in a way, the book is an extended definition of country music - and all its facets - love, death, poverty, working life. Illustration, alliteration, it's all there, and it's easy to see when what he is actually saying is going over my head. 

No comments: